The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is pleased to announce the 2016 Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program. This scholarship offers high school students between 14 and 16 years old the opportunity to spend one academic year in the United States. The selected students live with American host families, attend U.S. high school, learn about American society and values, acquire leadership skills, and help educate Americans about Lebanese culture. This scholarship covers roundtrip airfare, tuition, health insurance, accommodation, and a monthly stipend for incidental expenses.
Since the program began in 2003, more than 370 Lebanese students have spent an academic year in the homes of American families, studying in high schools throughout the United States.
To be eligible to participate in the YES program, student must:
- Be currently enrolled in the Brevet or 1st secondary class of the Lebanese baccalaureate program or in the 9th or 10th grade of the high school program;
- Born between August 1, 1999 and August 1, 2001;
- Be a Lebanese Citizen or a long-term Palestinian resident in Lebanon;
- Not be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (green card);
- Demonstrate maturity, good character, scholastic aptitude, flexibility and adaptability;
- Have a minimum grade of “B” or 12/20 average for the past three years without failing grades;
- Have strong English language ability: Minimum “B” average or 12/20 in English for the past three years;
- Agree to attend classes in the U.S. as full-time students and maintain at least a “C” average in a U.S. high school;
- Demonstrate willingness to participate in the American host family’s daily life;
- Not have previously attended high school for a semester or academic year in the United States.
The program can support students with disabilities and encourages their participation as long as they meet the above eligibility requirements.
To apply for this program, interested candidates must complete an online application. Candidates may access the online application on AMIDEAST website:
The application deadline is November 28, 2015.