The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA, or Form FS-240) is an official record confirming that a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and serves as proof of citizenship.

Applying For a Report of Birth and Passport for Your Child

The Embassy urges all parents, who are applying for reports of birth and passports for their children to read the following information carefully.

Interviews are conducted by appointment only.

Please Note:  Appointment times are fixed.  Applicants who arrive after their scheduled appointment time will not be admitted and will be asked to reschedule their appointment via email.  Please do not come to the Embassy unless all applications and documents are in order. You will not see a Consular Officer unless all required documents are complete. If the documents are not complete, you will be asked to schedule another appointment during our regular business hours.  If you do not think you will be prepared in time or if you must cancel your appointment for any other reason, please cancel your appointment by clicking here.

 Application Information

  • If you meet any of the qualifications shown below you are likely eligible to apply for Report of Birth Abroad for your child:
    Both parents were U.S. citizens PRIOR to the child’s birth.
  • At least one parent of the child was a U.S. citizen PRIOR to the child’s birth.
  • If only one parent is an U.S. citizen, that parent must have lived in the United States for 5 years 2 of which were after the age of 14 BEFORE the child was born.

In all cases, both parents should appear in person with the child to facilitate processing the application. If one parent is outside Lebanon and unable to appear, a signed written consent (Form DS-3053) notarized by a U.S. Notary Public or U.S. Consular officer must be provided by that parent in addition to a copy of his/her proof of identity in order to make an application for the child’s passport (Using Black Ink Only).

All documents submitted must be original documents with the English translation by a certified translator.

Please provide one photocopy of each document listed below.

What You Need to Bring

All applicants must bring the following documents:

  1. The child’s official birth certificate issued by Lebanese authorities (civil registration department). Make sure the name on the birth certificate is exactly how you would like it to appear on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  2. Parents’ official marriage certificate.
  3. Official divorce decree if either parent was previously married.
  4. If one parent is deceased, please provide an official death certificate.
  5. Proof of identity for both parents (i.e. passport, Lebanese ID, U.S. driver’s license)
  6. Proof of citizenship for U.S. citizen parent(s).  (U.S. passport, Naturalization certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth Abroad).
  7. Parents who have previously documented children born abroad should bring the other Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.
  8. One matte finish (not glossy) photograph 2 inches square (5×5 cm), showing a full frontal view of the child’s face with a light background. Please make sure that ears and eyebrows are visible – SEE PHOTO SPECIFICATIONS
  9. Consular Report of Birth Abroad application Form DS-2029 (PDF 104 KB)
  10. Passport application Form DS-11

If only one parent of the child is an American citizen

In addition to the documents listed above, the American citizen parent must provide documentary evidence of at least five year’s physical presence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth, two of which are after the age of 14.

This documentation must also be provided if only ONE parent was a citizen at the time the child was born, even if both parents are U.S. citizens at the time of application.

What constitutes U.S. physical presence: U.S. citizens may count any time they have been physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the child’s birth. Naturalized U.S. Citizens may count time spent in the U.S. prior to their naturalization, regardless of their status.

The following are examples of documents, which may be considered by the Consular Officer as primary evidence of physical presence in the United States:

  • Official school transcripts.
  • Medical records
  • W-2 forms and tax returns
  • Social Security Earnings Record (SSA 7005)
  • Passports showing previous U.S. travel

Note:  All documents must be originals or certified copies. The adjudicating officer may request that additional documentation be provided before approving the case. All original documents will be returned upon resolution of the case.

Please note the following important information

Tax returns: Tax returns without W2s may not be accepted as proof of physical presence.
Please make sure that the Physical Presence portion of the DS-2029 is completed fully. Do not simply list years in the United States (such as 1982-1990) without identifying periods of time outside the United States (i.e. summers in Lebanon). This is particularly important if the U.S. Citizen parent traveled back and forth between the U.S. and other foreign countries during the time claimed as physically present in the United States.

The American Citizen parent must provide documentation to convince the Consular Officer reviewing the case that the American Citizen parent was physically present in the U.S for a minimum of five years prior to the birth of the child.  Please do not confuse physical presence with having a residence.  In order for a U.S. citizen parent to fulfill transmission requirements for citizenship, the parent must have been physically present in the U.S. for the required period of time.  Merely owning property or businesses in the United States, paying taxes, or holding a U.S. passport is not sufficient.  Ultimately, the burden of proof rests on the parent. The information above will assist in confirming physical presence but the final determination rests with the Consular Officer.

If the American Citizen parent is unable to provide documentation to proof five years physical presence, two of which are after the age of 14, in the United States, he/she may apply for an Immigrant Visa for the child. For more information, visit the web page for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at


Payment is accepted by credit card, issued by a U.S. institution, or cash (US Dollars). If paying in cash, exact change is required. Payment is not accepted by checks;

Current fees for service are:

  • ·         Registration of birth of American citizen abroad: $100
  • ·         U.S. passport fee: $135