Lebanese Secondary School female students are invited to apply for this year’s TechGirls program.
TechGirls is a four-week international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young girls from the Middle East and North Africa to pursue careers in science and technology.
The centerpiece of the program is a 12-day program at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, VA that will include coding instruction in Python, cyber security classes, and interactive labs. The camp is complemented by additional activities such as site visits to Washington D.C.-based technology companies, leadership clinics, community service opportunities, job shadowing, cultural events, and weekend homestays with American families in southwest Virginia. During the U.S.-based exchange, participants will create action plans for community-based projects that they will be required to implement upon their return to their home communities.
- Lebanese citizens or long-term Palestinian resident in Lebanon.
- Candidate should speak English fluently and has demonstrated skill and aptitude, as well as serious interest, in technology through her current course work and extra-curricular activities.
- Candidate should exhibit enthusiasm and intent to pursue continued studies and possibly a future career in applied technology.
- Candidate’s skill and interest in technology may be assessed through her previous work on technology-focused projects, involvement in technology clubs at school or other technology camps, and/or active participation in relevant class work.
- Candidate also must demonstrate a general knowledge/understanding of key technology-focused topics such as coding, web design and development, and/or mobile communications technology and applications.
- Candidate who is adaptable, attentive, mature, thoughtful, curious, good-natured, articulate, respectful of peers, and have good social skills make excellent participants. Given that many exchange activities include small group work and opportunities to work with peers on team projects, the ability of a student to get along with her peers is important.
- Candidate will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and is committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities. This scholarship covers roundtrip airfare, health insurance, accommodation.
Application deadline: February 1, 2019
The online application will be available through the following link on December 1, 2018: http://legacyintl.org/techgirls/participants/eligibility-and-application/