We are excited to announce that the TechGirls 2021 application is now open.
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire high school-aged girls (ages 15-17) from the Middle East and North Africa, and Central Asia to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
Regionally focused exchange for approximately 49 TechGirls from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia will be held between July 3-30, 2021.
The exchange’s centerpiece will be a two-week program at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, VA that will include coding instruction in Java, cyber security classes, and interactive labs. Additional activities will include site visits to Washington D.C.-based technology companies, leadership clinics, action planning workshops, community service opportunities, job shadowing, intercultural collaboration, and weekend homestays with American families in Southwest Virginia.
During the U.S.-based exchange, participants will create action plans for community-based projects that they will be required to implement upon their return to their home communities. Projects will be designed to reinforce and support the skills and linkages acquired during the U.S. program.
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from Lebanon, or long-term Palestinian residents. American citizens or green card holders are not eligible to apply.
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange. Note: If you are less than 15 years of age or over 17 years of age on June 1, 2021, please do not apply for this program as you will be deemed ineligible;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Demonstrate a general knowledge/understanding of key technology-focused topics such as coding, web design, and mobile communications technology
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
Note: Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
TechGirls COVID-19 Statement
The U.S. Department of State is working with local and global health professionals to plan a program that adheres to the best public health practices. Please note that the in-person 2021 program will proceed only if the global health situation stabilizes and travel restrictions ease. The Department of State remains open to providing a high-quality virtual exchange, if necessary.
Applications must be submitted online at https://www.legacyintl.org/techgirls/online-application/ on January 15, 2021
All program expenses will be covered by the U.S. Department of State.