The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is pleased to announce the 2021 Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders on Religious Freedom and Pluralism. The is an intensive short-term academic program whose purpose is to provide undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. For more information on this program, students can visit the website of the U.S. Department of State Exchange Programs.
The program will include students from Egypt, India, Indonesia, Iraq and Lebanon who are interested in the topic of Religious Freedom and Pluralism. SUSI will be hosted by Temple University, Philadelphia from June to August 2021; exact dates pending.
This program is merit-based. To be considered, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Lebanese citizens or holders of the Special Travel Document for Palestinian Refugees issued by the Lebanese authorities (U.S. citizens, dual-U.S. citizens, and U.S. permanent residents are ineligible to apply);
- Undergraduates in the first, second, or third year of a full-time undergraduate program at a registered academic institution in Lebanon at the time of application and have at least one semester remaining in their university studies after the end of this program;
- 18-25 years old; and
- Fluent in English
Qualified applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Interest in religious freedom and pluralism;
- Commitment to returning to Lebanon to complete university studies;
- Commitment to community and extracurricular activities;
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of the program; and
- Comfort with campus life, shared living accommodations, and cultural/social adaptability.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM Beirut time on Monday, January 11, 2021. Late submissions will not be considered. Click here to apply to the program. If you have an inquiry, please email BeirutPD@state.gov with the Subject Line “SUSI-Religious Freedom and Pluralism”.
The U.S. Government pays for all major expenses, including roundtrip airfare, shared accommodation during the program, meals and health insurance. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.