Security Alert – False Messages to U.S. Citizens (November 13, 2019)
Event: False reports have been circulating since yesterday evening, November 12, claiming to be from the U.S. Embassy in Beirut. The U.S. Embassy did not disseminate any messages to American citizens in the last 24 hours.
The latest messages can be viewed here.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and the areas of demonstration.
- Monitor local news. English-language news can be accessed at https://www.mtv.com.lb/en/, http://www.naharnet.com/, https://www.dailystar.com.lb/, and http://nna-leb.gov.lb/en.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- As always, ensure your travel documents are up to date.
- Review your emergency preparedness plans.
- Read Crisis Abroad – Be Ready and what the U.S. Government Can & Can’t Do in a Crisis
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For further detailed information regarding travel and security in Lebanon:
- Visit the State Department’s travel website Travel.State.Gov to review the Travel Advisory for Lebanon, Country Information for Lebanon, and the Worldwide Caution.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest security updates and make it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Beirut on Twitter and Facebook