Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Beirut, Lebanon, March 19, 2020
Event: On March 18, 2020, the Department of State authorized the U.S. Embassy in Beirut to go on “ordered departure” status, which means the Embassy will be reducing personnel to emergency staffing levels. The decision was based on a variety of factors, including the cessation of commercial transportation options out of the country, the increasing incidence of COVID-19, and associated burdens on a severely strained local healthcare system.
All routine consular operations remain suspended. During this time, the Consular Section will be able to provide only limited emergency services to U.S. citizens on a case-by-case basis. U.S. citizens with verifiable emergencies may contact BeirutACS@state.gov. Additional information regarding availability of consular services and the status of the Embassy can be found on our website.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and our Embassy website for updates
- Have departure plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Follow the advice of the CDC and local health authorities that you can find at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
- Monitor the Department of State’s COVID-19 website at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible
- Review the complete Travel Advisory for Lebanon
- Read what the U.S. Government Can & Can’t Do in a Crisis
U.S. Embassy Beirut, Lebanon
+961-4-542600 or +961-4-543600
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
For further detailed information regarding travel and security in Lebanon:
- Visit the State Department’s travel website Travel.State.Gov to review the Lebanon Travel Advisory, Country-Specific Information for Lebanon, and the Worldwide Caution.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive the latest security updates and make it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Beirut on Twitter and Facebook