The U.S. Embassy in Beirut invites the public to apply to an online course entitled “Freedom of Expression and Information in the Time of Globalization: Advanced Course,” offered by Columbia University.
This course will focus on the multiple challenges to freedom of expression brought about by the technology revolution of the last two decades. On one hand, it has given the world the means to realize its commitment to freedom of information without frontiers. Technology has shaped, reshaped, and radically transformed the production and distribution of information, profoundly impacting whole societies and greatly influencing, if not defining, information and communication. On the other hand, it has also precipitated or heightened a range of normative, regulatory and political issues related to the protection of free speech, on and offline. This course will examine the complex, and often awkward, interplay of global information flows with national jurisdiction and state sovereignty, its effects on democracy and fundamental rights, and what it means for the realization of a borderless vision for the right to freedom of expression.
The above information is taken from Columbia University’s course description. Click here for more information.
Course Dates and Format
Participants will explore this course in a self-paced fashion.
In addition to the online classes, participants will attend discussion sessions (also called facilitated sessions) or a workshop offered by an expert in the field of freedom of expression.
The U.S. Embassy seeks candidates who are:
- Currently residing in Lebanon;
- Proficient in spoken and written English;
- Committed to participating in the facilitated sessions while taking the online course.
How to apply:
- Visit the course page at: https://www.edx.org/course/freedom-of-expression-in-the-age-of-globalization-3 and apply online. Send your enrollment confirmation to BeirutPD@state.gov. Click here to see a sample of the enrollment confirmation.
- Along with the Enrollment Confirmation, download and complete the application form for the Embassy facilitated sessions and send to BeirutPD@state.gov with the subject line: “MOOC – Freedom of Expression.” Click here to download the application.
No fees are required to participate in the online course.
Candidates who complete the online course and attend the facilitated sessions or workshop will receive certificates from the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.
Applications should be submitted no later than October 15, 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
This online course and the Embassy facilitated sessions are free of charge. Residents in Lebanon from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.