The Student Leaders Program (SLP) is a rigorous leadership and civic engagement program for competitively selected undergraduate and graduate students from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. Students are placed in U.S. universities where they complete academic coursework, develop leadership and project management skills, and expand their understanding of civil society and participatory governance processes in the United States and MENA region. The 2024 program will focus on climate change and environmental protection. Students will develop civic engagement projects to address climate and environmental issues in their local communities. The SLP is a yearlong three-part program: pre-summer, summer, and post-summer with the most intensive part taking place during the summer. The summer program is an intensive 4-week program, and is tentatively scheduled to take place from June 28 until July 26, 2024.
- Age: Must be between 20 and 24
- Citizenship: Students from Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Israel, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Qatar, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, and Yemen.
- Residency: Must currently reside in your home country with the exception of Syrian and Yemeni applicants. Please note Palestinian refugees residing in Lebanon who hold the Palestinian Travel Document issued from the Republic of Lebanon may apply for this opportunity.
- English Proficiency: Must have high-English language skills.
- University Enrollment: Must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, have recently graduated or will start graduate studies in the Fall of 2024.
- Commitment to addressing climate change through leadership and civic engagement: Must demonstrate strong commitment to addressing climate change/environmental issues within your community.
Please make sure to review the application for more information regarding eligibility criteria.
To learn more about the Student Leaders Program and start your application, visit https://studentleaders-apply.smapply.io/.
Deadline for applications is December 18, 2023