The United States works across the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) in their capacity as the sole, legitimate defender of Lebanon. U.S. assistance takes the following forms:
- Capability development through LAF acquisition of defense articles and services via the Foreign Military Sales process, largely funded by Department of State Foreign Military Financing (FMF) and Department of Defense grants.
- More than 32,000 LAF soldiers trained in professional military education and training in the United States and through training provided in Lebanon.
- Defense Institution Building via partnership between the Department of Defense’s Defense Governance and Management Team and the LAF.
- Logistics and sustainment to support extant and future capabilities, including development of the LAF’s capability development process.
- S.-Lebanese partnered national and regional-level training centers and direct training partnerships with all LAF special forces and counter-terrorism units.
- Supporting development of aerial Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) capability, a national command and control capability networked to tactical units, a tactical air force comprised of both rotary wing transportation and fixed wing attack aircraft, and increased coastal protection.
Assistance Total: More than $2.29 billion since 2005
- $1.375 billion in FMF grants to the LAF since 2006.
- $719.5 million in DoD USC Title 10 grants since 2006.
- $29.4 million in International Military Education and Training (IMET) funding since 2005.
- $11.1 million in Counter Terrorism Fellowship Program (CTFP) training since 2006.
- $52.5 million Defense Threat Reduction Agency funding for Land Border Security Program since 2014.
Major U.S.-origin Equipment in the LAF Inventory (Partial List):
- Towed and Self-propelled Howitzers
- M113 Armored Personnel Carriers
- LNS TRABLOUS Coastal Security Craft
- A-29 Super Tucano & Cessna Caravan attack aircraft
- Huey I and Huey II helicopters
- Armored and unarmored HMMWVs
- Scan Eagle Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Millions of rounds ammunition of various types and calibers
- Assault Rifles, Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Bomb Disposal Robots
- M2A2 ODS Bradley Fighting Vehicles
- M48 and M60A3 Main Battle Tanks
LAF Estimate: More than 80% of LAF equipment from the United States Government.