Location: Awkar Square, Dbayeh, Lebanon
Event: We are aware of reports that a number of organizations have called for a demonstration on Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 5:00pm in Awkar Square, Dbayeh, to protest the U.S. Secretary of State’s visit to the region. Road closures are expected in the area.
Public demonstrations have the potential to become violent. The U.S. Embassy has cancelled non-essential movement in the vicinity of the protest area.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Remain aware of your surroundings – including at local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Beirut, Lebanon
(961) (4) 542600 or (961) (4) 543600
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- For further detailed information regarding travel and security in Lebanon:
- Visit the State Department’s travel website Travel.State.Gov to review the Travel Advisory for Lebanon, Country Information for Lebanon, and the Worldwide Caution.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest security updates and make it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Beirut on Twitter and Facebook