Location: Beirut – Awkar Square Area near the U.S. Embassy
Event: A demonstration is scheduled to take place in the vicinity of the U.S. Embassy Beirut on Wednesday, July 29, 2020. The demonstration should start around 10 a.m. and should continue until around 12 noon. It is expected to be peaceful, but anyone who can avoid this area at that time should do so.
Since October 17, 2019, Lebanon has witnessed multiple demonstrations. While most protests have been peaceful, there is potential for a rapid escalation of violence. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and our Embassy website for updates, and check your email for further alerts.
- Avoid the area of demonstrations.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Beirut, Lebanon
Awkar – Facing the Municipality, Main Street
+961-4-542600 or +961-4-543600
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
For further detailed information regarding travel and security in Lebanon:
- Visit the State Department’s travel website Travel.State.Gov to review the Lebanon Travel Advisory, Country-Specific Information for Lebanon, and the Worldwide Caution.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest security updates and make it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.