Location: Beirut Waterfront Area, Downtown Beirut
Event: Lebanon will be hosting the 2019 Arab League Economic and Social Development Summit January 19th through January 20th.
Due to visiting heads of state and other dignitaries, additional security measures will be implemented by the government of Lebanon that will impact routine traffic and access to the surrounding waterfront area. Please plan accordingly as some locations may not be accessible during the two-day summit.
- U.S. citizens should be prepared for:
- Robust police presence in and around summit venues, nearby hotels, and major tourist sites.
- Large crowds in and around summit venues.
- Heavy traffic, street closures and police checkpoints in and around the summit venues.
Actions to Take:
- Carry your passport or another official form of identification at all times. Lebanese authorities have the right to conduct identification checks at any time.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For further detailed information regarding travel and security in Lebanon:
- Visit the State Department’s travel website Travel.State.Gov to review the Travel Warning for Lebanon, Country-Specific Information for Lebanon, and the Worldwide Caution.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest security updates and make it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Beirut on Twitter and Facebook