The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is currently accepting applications for the 2021 Virtual U.S. Department of State and espnW Global Sports Mentoring Program (GSMP). This interactive virtual exchange program is for women in the sports sector and will take place from October 11, 2021 until November 12, 2021. Online applications are due by Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 11:59 PM.
Up to 20 international female candidates will be matched with female executives from American sports organizations for an online, month-long mentorship. GSMP will leverage digital platforms to engage delegates in synchronous (real time) and asynchronous group and one-on-one sessions. This year’s virtual class will join the ranks of 130 alumnae from over 60 countries—Olympians, Paralympians, journalists, ministerial officials, civil society leaders, and sports administrators—who are providing opportunities for thousands of underserved individuals to become leaders on the field and in the boardroom.
As the flagship of the U.S. Department of State’s professional sports development initiatives, the GSMP provides emerging leaders with opportunities to:
- Gain exposure to the U.S. sports business, media, start-up, and non-profit environments from the grassroots to boardroom levels;
- Establish lasting relationships with a global sports network;
- Develop social innovation, advocacy, and leadership skills that participants can leverage to further contribute to economic growth and healthy communities; and
- Develop strategies aimed at long-term positive change back home.
Participants must be:
- Between 25 and 40 years old;
- Driven to strive for gender equality through sports in their home country and beyond;
- Involved in sports sectors including; sports management; coaching; sports journalism; sports marketing; sports innovation; disability sports; and/or sports medicine;
- Able to converse fluently in English;
- Able to reach top levels of their organization;
- Lebanese citizens;
- Confident, self-motivated, and driven towards success;
- Poised to share knowledge and acting as a change agent at home;
- Able to commit to the synchronous virtual activities (approximately two hours daily from October 11 to November 12) and able to devote time to pre-program online exercises;
- Willing to participate in social media for the program and alumni activities after the exchange.
Questions about this program can be sent to BeirutPD@state.gov.