The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is pleased to announce the 2020 Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders Women’s Leadership program.
The Women’s Leadership Program is an intensive short term academic program whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate students with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The five-week program will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community. The Institutes will include an academic residency component of approximately four weeks and a domestic study tour of approximately one week. During the academic residency, participants will also have the opportunity to engage in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom.
The Study of the U.S. Institutes for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership will examine the history and participation of women in public life in the United States. The Institute will focus on two major areas: developing participants’ leadership skills in areas such as critical thinking, communication, decision-making, and managerial abilities; and, placing these abilities in the context of the history and participation of women in U.S. politics, economics, culture, and society. The program will also examine the historical domestic progress towards women’s equality in the United States, the current domestic successes and challenges to women in a variety of fields, and current challenges in global women’s issues.
The program will include students from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Tunisia who are interested in the topic of Women’s Leadership. The Institute will be hosted by Saint Mary’s College in South Bend, Indiana from late June to early August 2020; exact dates will be available at a later time.
Candidates must be:
- Women aged 18-25
- Lebanese or Holders of the Special Travel Document for Palestinian Refugees issued by the Lebanese authorities. American citizens or green card holders are not eligible to apply.
- Student who have completed at least one semester of university and have at least one semester remaining in their university studies after the end of this program; students who have already graduated from university are ineligible.
- Fluent in English
- Interested in the topic of Women’s Leadership
- Committed to returning to Lebanon to complete their degree
- Committed to community and extracurricular activities
- Willing to participate fully in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel
- Comfortable with campus life, sharing living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
- Applications are due to the U.S. Embassy by Monday January 6, 2020 – late submissions will not be considered.
- Click here to download the Word Document application form (39 KB)
- Applications can be e-mailed to BeirutPD@state.gov with the subject line: SUSI-Women’s Leadership Program Application – [Last Name].
As with all U.S. Embassy-sponsored programs, the U.S. Government pays for all major expenses, including roundtrip airfare, shared accommodation during the program, meals and health insurance. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.