The Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) Student Leaders Program is a fully-funded intensive leadership training program in the United States for students between the ages of 20-24.
The Student Leaders program is a rigorous leadership program for up to 60 undergraduate and graduate students from the Middle East and North Africa. Students are divided among U.S. academic institutions where they develop leadership skills and expand their understanding of civil society and participatory governance and how both may be applied in their home communities. Participants have the opportunity to meet their American peers, engage in local community service activities, and observe and take part in the governmental process on the local, state, and federal levels. The program includes academic coursework, as well as study tours to various regions of the United States.
Upon completion of the U.S.-based program, participants are mentored by the program implementer to leverage their experiences through sponsored alumni activities designed to effect positive social change in their home countries approximately 6 months after the U.S. portion of the program. A competitive follow-on accelerator workshop may be held in the region upon completion of the U.S.-based program.
The Student Leaders program will take place over the course of approximately 5 weeks in the United States from June 26 – July 31, 2019.
Candidates should be:
- 20 to 24 years of age as of the program start date of June 26, 2019 and end date of July 31, 2019 (birth dates falling between July 31, 1995 and June 26, 1999)
- Demonstrate English language ability;
- Committed to returning to Lebanon following completion of the program;
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential;
- Indicate serious interest in learning about the United States;
- Have a sustained high level of academic achievement and currently attending an undergraduate or graduate program, have graduated from an undergraduate program within 6 months or less from the program start date of June 26, 2019 or will commence graduate studies in the fall 2019 semester in Lebanon; will not be commencing study in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in the United States during the fall 2019 academic semester;
- Demonstrate a commitment to civic engagement;
- Have no prior travel experience to the United States or Canada, and limited or no study or travel experience outside Lebanon;
- Are willing and able to participate fully in the program;
- Are comfortable with campus life, sharing living accommodations while traveling with a multinational group, and adjusting to cultural and social practices different from Lebanon; and
- Comfortable with living with another program participant of the same gender in a shared room as well as traveling to the United States and participating in the program without friends or family
Participant must be a Lebanese citizen or long-term Palestinian resident of Lebanon.
- Visit https://studentleaders.fluidreview.com/ to apply to the 2019 MEPI-Student Leaders Program. Applications have to be submitted no later than December 31, 2018 via the online system.
- PLEASE NOTE: Applications with missing information will not be considered. The application website will technically close on December 31 therefore, late applications cannot be submitted.
- Applicants can email BeirutPD@state.gov if they have any question.
As with all U.S. Embassy-sponsored programs, the U.S. Government pays for all major expenses, including roundtrip airfare, shared accommodation during the program, meals and health insurance. Competition is merit-based and Lebanese and long-term Palestinian residents in Lebanon from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.