The 2019 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program is now accepting applications. This fellowship offers young teachers and graduate students the opportunity to study English at a U.S. college or university while also working as an Arabic teaching assistant. The best candidates are early career English teachers or professionals in related fields such as translation. Candidates from the following fields will also be considered on a case-by-case basis: American Studies, Journalism and Media, and American/English Literature.
The J. William Fulbright Program sponsors a nine-month, non-degree program at colleges and universities in the United States. Award recipients teach Arabic and enroll in at least two courses each semester, one of which must be American Studies. The fellowship covers all fees for: visa application, airfare, tuition, health insurance, room and board, and a monthly stipend for incidental expenses.
To apply for this program, interested candidates must complete an online application. If applicants have taken the TOEFL or a similar English proficiency exam, scores should be included. While TOEFL scores are NOT required to apply, finalists will be required to take the TOEFL prior to entering the program (qualifying applicants may apply for fee waivers).
Successful applicants must:
- Be teachers (with no more than seven years work experience) or in training to become teachers
- Have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree by June 1, 2019
- Demonstrate fluency in English
- Demonstrate proficiency in speaking, writing, and teaching Modern Standard Arabic
- Have little to no prior experience in the U.S.
- Be eager to serve as cultural ambassadors for Lebanon and enthusiastic about discovering American culture and engaging in their American host communities
- Reside in Lebanon throughout the nomination and selection process
- Return to Lebanon immediately following the FLTA program
Complete program and application information is available at: https://lb.usembassy.gov/category/scholarships-and-exchanges/
Candidates may access the online application at: http://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/flta/
Application deadline: August 26, 2018. Incomplete and late applications will be ineligible.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Candidates whose applications include plagiarism – even just a few words – will be immediately disqualified.